Don’t Panic and Take a Deep Breath
An Expert series podcast, this episode covers data breaches from three angles – legal, technology, and services. Our host for this podcast is James Manari, a Vice President at Elevate, and our three industry experts introduce themselves at the beginning of the podcast.
- [00:47] Meet our guests: Melissa Ventrone, the Business Unit Leader for the Privacy and Cybersecurity team at Clark Hill; Adi Elliott, is the COO at Canopy Software; and Megan Silverman, is a Director in Elevate’s Incident Response Practice.
- [03:43] The evolution of incident response and where the industry is today.
- [04:53] There is a consumer expectation that if you hand your information over, a company will take the proper steps to protect it.
- [07:38] Laws are struggling to keep up with technology and change.
- [09:55] Lawmakers don’t necessarily understand the scope of what they’re asking companies to do in response to these incidents.
- [13:56] Affected entities are surprised at the amount of data they have and what it contains.
- [17:05] Have a plan in place for what do we do when there is an incident, go on a data diet, understand where your information is, know your cyber insurance provider, know who your attorneys are going to be.
- [21:34] While consumers are becoming desensitized to these incidents, legislation is continuing to drive tighter security controls, and regulations will continue to evolve.